Ginger Tea Recipe - How to Make Homemade Instant Salabat

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ginger tea or salabat as it is locally known in the Philippines is a very good home treatment for colds and flu. It is also used as alternative remedy for indigestion and nausea, as well as it soothes sore throat. My mother is an avid drinker of salabat as according to her, it relieves her stomach gas pains especially every morning. Salabat is perfect for her as coffee or milk is not good because it upsets her stomach. I think that is what they call lactose intolerance.

You can check in here the health benefits of ginger and ginger tea.

Ginger is often called an herb or a root, but actually it’s a rhizome, which is like an underground stem. Its aromatic, culinary and medicinal properties have been revered for thousands of years in Asian, Indian and Arabic cultures.

How to make homemade instant salabat or ginger tea

There are many ways on how to prepare ginger tea. Some just make use of the fresh ginger rhizomes sliced into thin strips and they bring it to a boil. Here's one example on how to do it:
  • 2 (1") cubes fresh ginger
  • 3 heaped tbsp. honey
  • 2 tbsp. chopped dried fruit of choice
Peel ginger and chop coarsely. Add it to 4 cups of water with the honey and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes covered. Uncover and cook for another 15 minutes on medium heat. You should have about 3 cups of liquid now. Turn off heat, add chopped dried fruit and serve. This can be served cold.
I've found an instructional slideshow video on how to make instant salabat. Later, I will have to ask my mother to make a homemade salabat so I can show it to you.




One day, I'll try to add my own version of how to make homemade instant salabat. Of course, I'll ask my mother to do the preparation while I shot the video.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP